Thursday, October 17, 2013

Presentation - Our Lady of Victory Detroit

A Year of Faith Journey to the Catholic worship sites of Detroit

The homily, at Presentation-Our Lady of Victory, was about thanksgiving.

The Eucharist is a sacrifice, and yet the word means thanksgiving. Oh, I know I had learned about this in Catechism class and yet somehow I had forgotten it. I was startled when the priest asked some routine questions during the homily. How often, he asked, do we thank God? Is it only after receiving grace that we express gratitude? Shouldn't we, said father,  be thanking God before asking for favor?


Being a Christian is being thankful no matter the adversity because there is always something to be thankful for. Go ahead said father, write a list of what your thankful for, except never stop adding to the list.

After Mass I started my list. I constantly add to it, especially when I am sitting in a quiet church silently praying. I have found that thankfulness certainly is a different way at looking at the world.

Detroit Faith Journey is on Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment