Prayer Break.
During my Year of Faith journey I developed the habit of scheduling prayer breaks into my day. On my quest to visit the Catholic churches in Detroit I have come to know the locations and Mass times of churches near and far. So whether I am working or just running errands prayer breaks have become an important part of my day.
Some days I need of a prayer break because work doesn't want to stop. I relish the silence of the church and then head back to work refreshed and calm. Prayer breaks give us perspective and a moment free from worry.
Some days I need a prayer break because I need to talk to a stranger. At Mass there is always the stranger ready to say "hello" or eager to chat for a minute or two. The gentleman standing outside who says a greeting as you enter. The parishioner eager to greet a new face and explain a bit of the church history. These interactions connect me to the world and I relish every one I have.
Some days I need a prayer break because I want to tell God "thank-you". Often, I take a prayer break just out of habit and find myself in the quiet of church suddenly thanking God for creation.
Take a prayer break. A prayer break doesn't have to be in a church. A quiet corner at work is perfect for a prayer break. Even taking that moment to say a silent prayer before eating lunch is a perfect prayer break. Taking a walk around the block can be a prayer break. I particularly like reciting the Glory Be as I walk.
Glory be to the Father,
And to the Son,
And to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now,
and ever shall be,
World without end. Amen.
I took a prayer break at St. Aloysius in downtown Detroit. Their lunchtime Mass is something I really look forward to, especially when I have the time to
walk along Washington Blvd. afterwards and reflect on the Graces of life.
No comments:
Post a Comment